Tuesday, March 17, 2009

3-17-2009 Sunyani, Ghana

Before I start I need to restate some of my past comments. In my last entry I said that I would only remember the Ghanaians that shout and pester me. I quickly realized how wrong of me it was to say that. I should not, and will not, let myself remember those people. But instead the people like my host family, the people who helped me when I passed out at the hospital (oops!), Isaac the egg sandwich man and all the other people who just say hello to me each day! If I were to only remember the rude people, that would make me just as ignorant as the guy who told me that all Americans are decietful liers. So, not only do I appologize to you for making a very false statement, I also appologize to all the Ghanaians who are kind and genuinly nice to me!



Now, to the other part of this blog.



The three worst things about my experience in Ghana:

3) The weather. I know your probably sick of the cold, but I'm sick of the heat! The heat is so relentless! It feels like its gotten hotter since I've been here! There is really no escape. Its hot 24/7. I think during the day it hovers around 90 degrees, not including humidity during the wet season. And at night it doesnt get much cooler. I hate falling asleep sweating, but it happens more often than not. And then I'll wake up in the middle of the night and my sheets will be drenched in sweat, which consiquently makes them smell. Oh, its glorious (sarcasm of course)! And when I go back it'll be the middle of Tennessee heat and humidity! I keep wondering what would happen if a blizzard hit Africa. That might be a bit disasterous! I do applaud Africans at how well they cope with the heat!



2) The food. The food can be a bit of a downer. I've come to my peace with eating fufu so often. I just think to myself At least I have food. Ghanaian food just kind of sinks to the bottom of your stomach. And Kwasi made a fair point that its not the fufu itself I dont like, its the soup. I do like the food, I just hate how often we eat it. I have little variety for breakfast: porage of ripe plantains. But for lunch and dinner its the same thing, kenkee for lunch and fufu for dinner. On Tuesdays and Thursdays me and Wesley go to Isaac the egg sandwich man. We joke that its the best thing we eat during the week. Coming from a family where we eat something completelly different each night then coming to a place where the same food is eaten so often was a bit aggrivating. Never again will I complain about eating the same thing twice in a row when I get back home. Like I said, Ive come to my peace with the food and I do like most of the food, but when Im not in the mood for it I usually can only get some of it down. Thats why (if the scale is correct) I've lost 30+ lbs, have had to renotch my belt 4 times, renotch my watch 2 times and am no longer called "Obroni kaklakaka" by school children. Sometimes when I get hungry Ill buy a loaf of bread-I will say that Ghanaian bread is fantastic- and put some Blueband margerine on it and eat it in one sitting. Or Ill buy some Gari-ground up casava- and put it with water and sugar, and thats a good snack. Itll be nice to get back to eating good ol' hardy meals when Im back. Ive already started my "meals to eat when Im back home" list,Dad!
ps. Happy St. Patricks Day! Enjoy your corned beef and cabbage!

3) School. The weeks go by very quickly, just not when Im in class. The teaching style is so different from what used to. I sit through 80 minutes of notetaking, that is to say the teachers even come. And its not even in the sense of the teachers explaining what they said they just read striaght out of a book. And the desks dont help. Niether do the 50 screaming students. Me and Wes compare the classroom to the scene in Anchorman when the four newsmen are in the bosses office and Brick just screams out "LOUD NOISES!". Its exactly like that. At school is when I get hassled the most with the Twi screaming, "OBRONI BRAH!"ing, and "Take me home with you" antics. I will say that what Im lacking in a formal education, real world experience and patience makes up for it! And-unlike other AFS students- I go to school everyday! Though I hate school, Ill feel guilty for not doing what Im supposed to be doing! I try not to let school get me down, but its harder done than said.

The 3 best:

3)My host family. I feel like God couldn't have given me a better host family. Home is the one place I can go after a crazy day and just chill out. My host family-in particular Junior and Kwasi- have taught me the most about Ghana and its culture. The majority of AFS students in Ghana have problems with their family and/or contact person. But not me. That is not in a boastful way, but I feel fortunate! My biggest problems with my host family are almost comical: we eat to much fufu, Adu turns up his Celine Dion greatest hits cd up to loud on the weekends and I have to fill out these stupid NPP membership cards. Other than that, its terrific!

2) The realization that "Home is where the heart is". Never have I known that getting put 10,000+ miles away from your home and family can suck, alot sometimes. I took for granted having such a suppotive and loving family. My family has been the one thing that has never changed in my life. Things come and go, but my family has been the rock in my life. They've been there since my birth and will continue to love and support me till death. I have a special unbreakable relationship with each of my family members that no one could replace. Sometimes I've made mistakes,but my family was the one who corrected me and guided me to the right path. I couldn't ask for another family!

1) Living in an overall poor and simple lifestyle. I think that's the best part because it's made me realize how much I can go without and still live comfortably. How I can spend 3 ghc (2.17$) a day and think that that's how much I'd spent on gas just to get me to school. How I find entertainment in reading and writing instead of browsing the internet or watching tv. Realizing that in life, money can't but happiness. Because in Juniors words "When you die, none of this stuff comes with you to Heaven!" Life is more about family, friends and learning about yourself. Not 300 dollar shopping sprees or trying to be the most popular kid in school. It's the simple things that make this world go round. I think some people could use 10 months in Africa or any other third world country to get their priorities straight. Because I know my priorities got fixed pretty quickly after landing in Accra.

1 comment:

Songbird said...

Oh my Gosh Rich! You are having such an amazing experience and learning so much! And I'm so glad that you take such a positive outlook on things even when they're hard or challenging. What a great success! I love reading your blog and am reminded of similar situations and feelings during my times in Africa.

I also had a "foods-I'm-going-to-eat- back-home" list which included, but was not limited to: chocolate cake, a milk shake, big mac, my mom's gormeh sabzie.

And when you get back home and attempt to speak Twi with any Ghanians you meet in the States- it will make their day- because you will make them feel like the unknown foreigner here :)